Wednesday, January 19, 2011

YOUR PARTNER'S WORRIES


There is a certain issue that keeps bothering me and its on whether you have to know everything that worries or troubles your partner (husband/wife/boyfriend/girlfriend). I would want my boyfriend or husband to be happy or in high spirits but if they looked sad, sounded sad, or seemed in a bad mood, I would want to know. 
Knowing myself, I probably would not be at peace until I find out what the problem is. I would be worried to death about his well-being and where he insists that nothing is wrong,  aside being worried and losing concentration, I begin to think either of these;

1.      He is hiding something
2.       If he loved me and cared about me, he would share his worries with me .  (which sounds like emotional blackmail)

So the questions go thus;

1.      Whenever your partner seems troubled or worried, is he or she under any obligation to share their worry or concern with you, or are they to be allowed some space to think without you interfering?

2.      Is it fair for to keep an issue that is that obviously worries you away from partner, knowing fully well that they would be worried about you?


3.      And in a situation where you keep asking what the problem is and they say nothing is wrong, what do you do or how do you relate with them without nagging, seeming so pushy or on the other hand, unconcerned ?  

I would appreciate opinions on this issue. 

4 comments:

  1. All one can do is ask and wait for a reply.
    The partner is an adult after all (I assume) and should know that you are there for them.

    However, they should appreciate the fact that their 'black cloud' is getting you down.

    So,as I cannot abide sulking, I would give them a few days to wallow in contemplation - AND THEN I would have to confront them and say they're doing my head in and they need to open up PRONTO.

    ReplyDelete
  2. lol@as i cannot abide sulking. i do agree with you that people need to give their partners some space in such situations. way to go

    ReplyDelete
  3. You actually always touch on problems I had in my last relationship...my partner was quite reticent. I instantly knew when something was wrong with her and when I asked her, she would tell me that there was nothing wrong. I would ask until my lips bled but it changed nothing. At the end of the day, I would discover there was something wrong...and sometimes it was about me...it hurt me most of the time...deeply. Whatever happened to trust? It told me that I hadn't earned her trust...and that was another reason why I felt we couldn't work together, unless those things changed.

    So, it really helps when you reveal anything that worries you to your partner and vice versa...you may allay their fears by telling them that you would open up at a later time...but saying there's nothing wrong is definitely not good enough...especially when you make it a habit...

    ReplyDelete
  4. @Seun, hmn, so true. that shows the importance of communication in relationship. Hopefully, people come to understand the need to constantly communicate their feelings in their relationships.

    ReplyDelete